Friday, September 23, 2005

Music and the Muse

So here I am sitting an my Mom's computer and thinking... why can't I use this time to write? The answer is something that will seem strange to any who don't write but is quite understandable the rest who are often a slave to their muse's whims. My muse is at times, though fortunately rarely, a temperamental shit.

Being the good daughter I try to be, I offered to watch a newborn litter of pups for mom Mom, so she could get some sleep. I got here around 10:30 or so with plans to watch the babies and type away the time on ma's computer. After all it should make much difference whose computer I'm using, right?

Wrong. It must make all the difference or at least something does. It is now about 1:45 and I haven't written a single word, despite much staring at the screen.

So what is keeping my muse from his typical overbearing ways? I thought a few things that might be the cause.

1) being out of my place: Could this be the problem? Am I limited to where I can write? No, I don't think so. I have at times picked up a scrap of paper and written out a scene or two in some of the oddest place. This seems to be randomly inspired moments but not all that uncommon. But on the other hand I don't seem to be able to write much here at my parent's home... hmm, wonder if there is some deep phychological reason... maybe but I really doubt that I am that deep.

2) distraction: Am I too distracted to work here? Oh yeah, I am very sure this could apply. The tv blares. People actually come in *gasp* without knocking. The phone rings here. How strange is that? On a side note I actually chatted for about 10 minutes with the last telemarketer that called me at home. Oh, and to top it all off her dogs bark different from mine.

3) metaphysical: Okay I'm not even completely sure what all this excuse includes... The only thing that springs to mind is that I seem to have an affinity to water. LOL I am an aquarius! Seriously, when I am having a hard time with an idea in writing or sometimes even dealing with problems in the real world, sometimes it helps me to listen to moving water, or hang out my my koi pond or even just take a long soak in the tub.

4) Music. My muse is very musically inclined. I know this becuase when he came into my life he chose a new kind of music for me and only works when I allow those tunes to play. His particular preference is alternative or hard rock played very loud. Certain characters have developed just from listening to specific songs.

I believe that my muse, temperamental as he may be is affected by all these things. All together making it hopeless to persist in my writing efforts here and now. So to make sure that I am doing something useful, I am adding this entry to the blog... well, it may not be much but at leaast is it writing.

Shannon

10 comments:

  1. So now its many hours later and I still haven't written my fast draft page goal. My goal is 20 pages a day and I didn't write much of anything. I do plan to spend the next hour typing as fast as my muse will let me. I am home and have my music up loud. Muse should be happy. I guess we'll know soon if my theory holds water.

    Shannon
    writing to ... Hand that Feeds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's midnight and I finished my 20 pages for FD (fast draft). Technically it might be little like cheating since I did use copy paste from some of my original working on destiny. BUT the one thing I am not allowing myself is to skip scenes between the partials I already had written.

    As of this moment I have a total of 40 pages in my FD destiny ms. But to be honest that does include about 15 pages of copy/pasted material. As I am almost out of material to slap in, I expect the writing to get more difficult. If I don't make my page counts, I think I can forgiv emyself but I also believe that if I try, I can do reach this goal.

    And WOW, what if I actually reach that goal of 280 pages in 2 weeks? That number is quite the motivator.

    Shannon
    listening to: When September Ends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Shannon, for making your goal! Even with the copy and paste. (G)

    I set my goal at five pages, and I didn't make it. (sigh) I wrote three pages. Though, Mom did come in right when I was really getting into the 'zone' and wanted me to help her with something in case Hurricane Rita came to call.

    I did some reading on your notes for MH to see if I could fix some of the problems there. Does that count? (G)

    May your Muse speak to you often and well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Saturday night and I am struggling to make my FD page counts. It's almost 11:00 and I only have 5 pages. Although I had planned to only count pages completed before midnight... Desperate times and all. So I will try to stick it out as long as I can tonight and get as close to 20 as possible.

    So I will post again when I have worn my eyelids thin and share how far I made it.

    Shannon
    writing to 'Blaze of Glory'

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I totally did not reach my goal tonight. It's almost 2 and I am callin' it quits.

    I wrote 11 pages in Destiny toward my goal of 20 pages. 11 pages is still more than I usually write, so its a good thing (martha) but if I don't get back on track tomorrow I may give up my 280 goal... which would ruin the whole FD thing for me.

    So you might ask what happened to stop me at page 11? Well that is a question for Grant's new interest, Kita. It seems the little thing wanted me to tell her mother's story. So , out pours a 3 page rough draft of her mother and her father with the working title 'The Promise' Hmmm... not what I was planning but rather a good little story so I think I'll keep it.

    My plan is to get some sleep and start semi-fresh tomorrow back in Destiny. If I can pick up my missing 9 pages by lunch time I may have a shot of doing tomorrow's 20 in the afternoon and the evening after the football game. Yes I will even try to write during the game, but no guaruntees.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I slept in. Here it is 1:30 and I am just starting to get to the writing. So 'the plan' for the day is to write furiously from 1:30 to 4:00. Kick off is at 4:15 so I am giving up all the pre-game. See! that is sacrifice, LOL.

    Starting page count is 51. My goal to complete before the Steelers game is to reach 60 pages. My bonus prise is that If I reach 65, I will leave the laptop here watch the game guilt-free.

    S
    listenng to... -gag- Wheel in the sky
    note to self: turn on iTunes, must have 'Bodies' or 'Getting away with Murder'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm back at the desk and again behind on my goal. But really, I'm not as behind as I thought I would be. At 20/day and on day 4, I should have 80 pages done by tonight. I am hovering at 70. So I'm not feeling too bad about my goal. 280 here I come!

    Tonight I am having a hard time turning of the editor. My fingers are fighting back and demanding I watch for typos and such. I also have so far been sketching out all my scenes in dialog so I have, yes, almost 70 pages of dialog and stage directions. So its nearly killing me to not go back and fill in all the drama around the dialog. But I have a plan! I figure that the characters will eventually run out of things to say, then I can get page counts by adding all the good and juicy parts.

    So here it is 10:30 and I have 10 pages to write. I really am going to try to get them finished before sacking out. Have work tomorrow but I think I might be able to get a few pages in before I leave if I get up a bit earlier.

    I was thinking earlier and 28 is a great motivator but the word count is also pretty motivating. 100 pages is about 25,000 words so the end of this FD should give me about 70,000 words!

    How great is that?!!

    Shannon
    writing to 'Live and Let Die'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made my goal. True it is technically tomorrow, LOL. But since I haven't been to bed yet, I am claiming it. I wrote my 20 pages for today and made up my 10 pages from yesterday for a total of 30 pages in one day.

    *sigh* It feels good to reach it even if it was very hard to do.

    So right now at 1:15 on a(a little after) day 4 I have 80 completed pages in Destiny of the Wolf.

    I think in a few more days and I will have the major dialog scenes mostly written. Then I plan to go back and add the love scenes and sexual tension. That will make Rath happy. So far grant and Kita have gotten all the sparks. All Rath and Destiny have had is 'sweet hello'.

    Well I'm off to bed. I hope to get a little more written in the morning before work. Night all.

    Shannon
    sleeping to: Getting Away with Murder by papa roach

    ReplyDelete
  9. Day 5...

    Nothing to copy/paste today so its slow going. I'm up to 87 pages and lots of good action.

    I'll beat away at it as long as I can and try to not fall behind again. If I stay on track I'll have 100 pages done. It's a good number.

    S
    writing to a Creed album. currently on Arms Wide Open. What a sweet song and totally inappropriate for the frenzy of killing I get to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Day 5 was a hard one. I did get 15 pages done but just can't keep my eyes open. I will try to figure out something for tomorrow though I don't have much hope of reaching tomorrows goal either.

    Still, 95 pages is pretty good.

    S
    listening to some stupis song that isn't keeping me awake.

    ReplyDelete