Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fast Draft

Fast Draft, I LOVE IT!!

And I hate it, but mostly I love it. I started trying the Fast Draft way of turning out a maunscript after seeing info about it on Romance Divas (which btw is a great resource). I am now finishing day six and thought I would dump my totals here for future inspiration.

The goal of Fast Draft is to complete 20 pages of rough manuscript on every day for 2 weeks for a whopping total of 280 pages! So her eis how I've done so far...

Day #1 (9/22) R
Finished 20 pages! Total: 20 I'm off to a bangin' good start. Yippy... 280 pages, here I come!! I did copy/paste a little from my original notes to slip into the right spots. No reason to rewrite what already works well.

Day #2 (9/23) F
Finished 20 pages! Total: 40 Still ontrack but it's getting harder to stay at it as the night creeps in and I have less material to copy/paste from.

Day #3(9/24) Sat
Finished 11 pages... Total:51 (3 pages of a rough draft of The Promise) I got off track today. I helped watch newborn puppies at my parent's house. Unfortunately, my muse stayed home. So when I got home I tried to write it all then and didn't do so well. And speaking of do or rather Dew as in Diet Mountain Dew... My muse won't work unless I have that in great supply. He's such a lush...

Day #4(9/25 Sun
Finished 30 pages! Total: 80!!! I bough dew and made headway by leaps and bounds!
Day #5(9/26)M
Finished 15 pages... Total: 95 Back at work and having a hard time balancing it all. It probably didn't help that I went to work exhausted and came home even worse off. I wanted to go straight to bed but instead banged away at the computer.

Day #6 (9/27)T
Finished 5 pages... Total: 100 This puts me a full 20 pages behind and I don't know if I will be able to reach my goals during a work week. I will keep trying but I will also have to be realisic. I am going to finish out the wee trying for 20 but if I keep falling short, I may adopt a 10 page goal for weekdays. If I do, I will add a week making it 3 weeks to get the rough draft down. The positive of this is that in 6 days I have written 100 pages! That really is a good speed for me. It's not that I write slow, but that I usually bounce and FD forces me to stay on the same ms for 2 weeks.

Day #7 (9/28) W
Finished 20 pages! Total: 120 pages!! Yah! I'm back on track, sort of. Technically I'm a whole day behind, but I did finish my 20 pages for today and maybe, if I get lucky, I can catch back up over the weekend. I reformated to standard new courier 12 and 1 inch margins. That gained me 9 pages. But I am claiming the other eleven. With work, shopping, taking care of the dogs, my parent's anniversary, and my sister-in-law's birthday... I feel very lucky to get that much done.

Day #8 (9/29) R
I finished 2 pages. Total: 122 pages. I have stalled out a bit probably because of time limits. The muse is still there but he's not always "ready to go" at the 5 minutes I have to type. Oh well, I'll keep at it and maybe I'll be able to play catch up over the weekend.

Day #9 (9/30) F
0 pages. Total: 122 Very rough day for FD. I didn't get a single page written in Destiny of the Wolf. I did get a little done in Season of Blood, taking it from 7200 to 8100 words. (almsot 4 pages of edits and additions) It is almost ready to submit to the Halloween Challenge at Midnight Passions. That said, *sigh*, that doesn't count toward FD. So back at it, still behind but still happy that I got this far.

Day #10 (10/1) Sat
Finished 4 pages. Total: 126

Day #11 (10/2) Sun
Finished 8 pages. Total: 134! I'm still way off track but doing a little better.

Day #12 (10/3) M
Day #13 (10/4) T
Day #14 (10/5) W

3 comments:

  1. Day #7

    Before work, I wrote 2 pages toward my goal. Then I decided to switch to new courier font and gained nine more pages. LOL So unofficially I have written 11 pages today so far. Now I'm back in the chair so I may make more headway.

    S
    writing to nothing's okay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing Fast Draft as well! It really seems to work for me. Are you in the Romantic Intentions wrter's group on yahoo? I've gone through 2 F/D challenges with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cora,

    I did fairly well with fast draft, but didn't finish the work. Two weeks just wasn't enough for me to be consistent at 20 pages a day. Not with a full time job and juggling a few other things to boot. It was certainly a great way to start my novel, "deception" though.

    Now I joined nano for November and have 1100 words to write before midnight. I think I can, I think I can... LOL I know I can.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete