Friday, October 26, 2007

A Rough and Rocky Road

Just as I 'd feared, the new job is kicking my ass. I hit the road with my friend last Thursday, showed Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and then we came back late Sunday night. Okay it wasn't really all that late, but I was exhausted. I even fell asleep during the Steelers game which you know means I was whipped.

You might wonder what about showing dogs can be so tiring? Well our days started between 4 and 5 oclook when we'd potty dogs and drive to the show site. Then we would exercise the dogs again and start grooming them. This would continue until ring time which can be anytime from 9 am to 3pm. Once the regular classes for our breed are done, then we regroom out the specials (champions) assuming they won Best of Breed so that they can compete in the group ring usually between 3 and 5pm. After all the showing is done we relax for a few minutes then potty the dogs again and work on anything that needs improved for the next day. I my case it was trying to teach my puppy to not bounce even if he does love being shown. Poor Teddy just can't help himself. :)

Well, my friend must know what she's doing becuase our first weekend out seemed to be a success. I won the points one day and she won several sets of points and three group placements!

Anyhow... I'm off to do it again this weekend.

As for the effect on my writing scedule, it has been pretty negative. Instead of my usual 2000+ words a day, my numbers for an entired week were about 2500. I had planned to finish both Walking Death's Edge and my Vampire Oracle story this month before starting NANO in November, but now, I feel I will be lucky to finish "Edge". Speaking of which, I need to get in a few words before I start packing...

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment