Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Yolanda Sfetsos - Where do your ideas come from?

Yolanda Sfetsos - Where do your ideas come from?


You know, just like every writer out there, I'm always tempted to answer this question with a sarcastic response. Something like, "I buy them at the corner store, where you can get two for the price of one". Yeah, very witty, huh? Lol.

The truth is, I find ideas just about anywhere and everywhere. Sometimes, it can be as simple as waking up after a dream I've managed to hold onto. Or I could be looking at a picture online and there's a new idea. Other times, I might hear a line from a song and there's another new one. One of my faves is reading research material and having one drop right into my head. This actually happened with Guarded By Stone.

I don't know when they're going to strike, but when they do, I make sure I ponder the thought and write it down. Sometimes the ideas come fully developed and before I know it, I'm already working on the story. Other times, I need to slowly research and explore the character/s or situations that have entered my mind before I can start writing.

The only thing every process has in common, is how intriguing and exciting it is. There's nothing better than the excitement of discovering a new tale to tell, and all the things that go hand-in-hand with developing the idea into a story. Personally, I love it. I love chasing it to where it leads... hopefully, to a new short story, novella or novel.

So, when you get an idea, hold onto it and don't let it go. You'd be amazed at what it can develop into. For me, this extends to other things in life too.


Yolanda Sfetsos
www.yolandasfetsos.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shannon! Thanks for posting me on your blog. :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete