Sunday, December 18, 2005

Holiday Musing

Holidays

They hold a personal meaning that is individual to each of us. To me they are a general feeling. Have you ever walked into a crowd of last minute shoppers? The wave of colorful clothing. The occasional festive soul who dares to wear red and green, seasonal shirts, or best of all, a santa hat. Sure you have the not so inspirational attitudes of those who lack in spirit, the parent who doesn't enjoy the shopping frenzy to find the right gift for their child. Yet, overall, there is an air to the season that simply feels different.

I don't decorate very much at home. Most years I don't finish sending out greeting cards. I don't have too many people to shop for. Yet, I have gone out into the masses and shared the spirit of Christmas. I have held a door open for the mother carrying six stuffed bags of toys. I have emptied my pockets in the Salvation Army tins. I have wished Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to complete strangers. And in the next week, leading up to the 25th, I will do that much again and again, and more.

Take a deep breath, step into the crowded mall, share the season.

For its not near so much fun alone.

Happy Holidays!! Merry Christmas!!

And to all a good night...

1 comment:

  1. I’m Faith nach Wolf and my life was complicated enough the night I met Nail, a.k.a. The-One-In-Gray, Deathstalker, and Shadow-Of-Night, on a dark street on her twenty-first birthday. He rocked my world by revealing death to me. First showing me how the man I was with would die, and then letting me watch as he shared his visions of death with each person he met on one of many busy streets of my city.

    Did I mention my life was complicated enough without Mr. Dressed-in-butter-soft-Gray-
    leather? Well that is certainly true since I am on the schedule to inherit the title of Vardr which
    translates into Keeper of the Valafrn Werewolf cultural history. And let me tell you, there are not
    too many perks of the job. Currently my mother, Hope is Keeper and has really ticked everyone off by bonding to a Valafrn of the Eagle Clan, my father, Athair. It’s never happened before and is forcing the council of elders to rewrite a lot of rules. The most important one to me is that since my mother is no longer true mortal and I may not be either, they are setting a time limit of one hundred years to be Keeper. They are still arguing if the Keeper will be allowed to live after that hundred years of service. Nice retirement plan, huh?

    Because of all these problems and cries of favoritism, I have been exiled from my family and my clan. Technically, I am a foster child that gets handed off each summer to a different clan. I have enough opposition to my future position as keeper that there have been oddles of attempts on my life. Did I mention that I’m not sure if I am a true mortal or not? Because that is sort of always there in my mind each time an assassin is sent for me. So I’ve taken some
    precautions, the biggest of which is that I have claimed a companion named Jenna. Jenna is a bit
    of a terror, maybe even a match for Mr. Death. Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. She is the one who
    watches over me and since she is a nine hundred year old Valafrn of the Tiger Clan that has some
    rather special meaning. She is the only true Valafrn - not of mixed blood- that I know of that can change her shape into two different animals. She can shift into a white wolf easily and force her body painfully into the form of a white tiger. They call shifts like that pain-shifting, but that
    doesn’t do the violence of the change any justice.

    Did I mention complicated? Jenna and I have finished another year at college, our junior year studying ancient history, which makes Jenna burst out in quiet chuckles now and then when the class is studying history from her home land. So anyway, we are going home for the summer. Well, sort of home, we’ll be going to a clan which I believe sent my last assassin. Oh joy. Adding the pissed family of said and dead assassin, my body guard distracted by a human love affair and the fact that the guy Jenna may actually be falling for is the same one who I got the fun of watching die in a prophesy of death thanks to Mr. Gorgeous-in-Gray and my summer is looking very normal, or at least normal for me.

    Have Faith (cause I've been lonely for a while now)

    ReplyDelete