Thursday, September 13, 2007

Therapy Thursday - Anything a man can do...

I can do better (or at least do) except pee standing up. I mean, I can do that too, but it ends very badly. I grew up with that mantra taught to me by a strong woman who is the center of my family, my Mom. She's the perfect combination of super capable but never insulted by door holding men. I yearn to be that balanced and perhaps I am.

So yesterday when my Dad was checking out the brake line leak and pinching it off enough to safely get it to the mechanic, he says "This one is easy to get to. Anyone could fix it." He was suggesting that I ask my cousin to do it rather than pay a non family member to do the work. Which is an excellent idea. I would rather give money to family than anyone else. Then I started thinking which can be dangerous.

If anyone can do it, why can't I?

I do most of the maintenance on my van already. It's my baby. Why shouldn't I take care of it? I have a brain. I'm good with problem solving. Don't get me wrong, my Dad does anything that I'm unsure of and looks over anything that could kill me. :) But Dad's never afraid to show me how to do something or suggest that I be self sufficient. Then again, my Dad is perfect anyhow... He wants me to do anything I want to and is willing to do anything I need. Yep, perfect.

Now the question is, will I have the courage to try to fix my own brake line today. I don't yet know the answer. I have the parts and the willingness to try. I think I will. At worst I'm sure I can find some way to use the experience for writing research. I'll let you know how that goes.

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment